L-1: Intra Company Transfers


For US companies wishing to transfer in foreign employees from their foreign counterparts, the L-1 is particularly useful.

The L-1 status is available to persons who have worked abroad for one continuous year within the preceding three years and who are transferred temporarily to the U.S. to work in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity for the same business.

There are two kinds:

1)  L-1A:  Manager or Executive

2) L1-B:  Individual with Specialized Knowledge

L-1 Petitioner Requirements

  1. The organization must be a U.S. or foreign firm, corporation, or other legal entity.
  2. The company must be doing business as an employer in the US and in at least one other country through a relationship defined by regulations, such parent, branch, or subsidiary.
  3. The petitioning U.S. company must establish an employer-employee relationship.
  4. Unless, it is a “new office” (Useful if a foreign company is attempting to set up a subsidiary/branch/new office in the US.  Another post will follow).

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s